[Gnu-arch-users] Re: is there demand for itla?

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: is there demand for itla?
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 06:12:04 +0000

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 02:00:44PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> Andrew Suffield <address@hidden> writes:
> > > Not really.  There is a kind of lisp renaissance going on these days.
> >
> > Hey cool, that means it's in the same category as COBOL and Ada.
> >
> > It's amazing how many fringe languages are having a "renaissance"
> > nowadays.
>
> Hey Andrew, your perl is showing!

Eh? I'm more a C hacker than a perl one.

I have a solid grounding in a dozen or more languages, and I find it
highly amusing that all of the advocates of the fringe ones have been
making the exact same arguments, including Tom. They're even citing
the same reasons (language prototyping, community development,
flexibility, ease of extension, how everybody else is developing
features they've had for ages, etc).

I don't buy any of it. I don't think any of them has a realistic view
of what people outside their clique have been doing.

Here's a healthy dose of reality: we live in a world that has failed
to produce an adequete replacement for Fortran-77, a language without
structured loop statements. I don't think any language has much to be
proud of.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |