Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Savannah vs. Open Software License

From: Thomas Zander
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Savannah vs. Open Software License
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:50:19 +0100

On Thursday 20 November 2003 13:44, Adam Sampson wrote:
> Samium Gromoff <address@hidden> writes:
> > www.opensource.org/licenses/osl.php
>
> This clause makes life very unpleasant for mirror sites:
>
> "If You distribute copies of the Original Work or a Derivative Work,
> You must make a reasonable effort under the circumstances to obtain
> the express and volitional assent of recipients to the terms of this
> License."

I'm not sure why you say that; it is impossible to mirror software based on
this licence since the above essentially says the software can only be
digitally distributed using something like a shring wrap licence. Users as
well as automatic downloads need to go through a licence agreement.

> Please don't use this license.

Well, everyone can, but in my (personal) book, this licence is not free.

--
Thomas Zander