Re: [Gnu-arch-users] multi-committer functionality revisited

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] multi-committer functionality revisited
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:30:21 +1100

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 07:57, Robin Farine wrote:

I'm glad you picked up my thinko on query for the file scheme - I had
gone from memory :p.

> So, this implies that my proposal would also invent something new (I
> think rfc1738 adds gratuitous restrictions and should be updated in
> this regard), but at least the URI conforming form can be parsed by a
> generic URI handling component.

Well, file:// is very entrenched, and I suspect most file:// scheme
handlers don't implement a full 2396 parser - so updating 1738 in this
regard would be problematic.

> In the hypothetical case of a scheme with both the client and server
> sides capable of handling such a parameter, then an additional
> (dumb=<bool>) parameter could tell the client to interpret other
> parameters or to let the server do the job.

Well, if both the client and server sides can handle the parameter, then
both sides must generate the same result. If not, then the parameter is
not adequately specified.

Rob