Re: [Gnu-arch-users] robin's per-directory regexps

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] robin's per-directory regexps
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:26:53 +0100

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 10:46:53 -0800, Tom Lord wrote:

>     > From: Mark Thomas <address@hidden>
>
>     > On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Tom Lord wrote:
>
>     > >   There are two alternatives that come to mind, that preserve upward
>     > >   compatability (but break trees already using the patch):
>
>     > >   One is to say that ".arch-inventory" files are only ever used if
>     > >   "./{arch}/=tagging-method" contains a special directive, say,
>     > >   "enable .arch-inventory".
>
>     > >   Another is to is to rev the "project tree version number" --
>     > >   a prospect I'm not too fond of.
>
>     > What about renaming it to .arch-ids/=inventory ?
>
> I considered it and then rejected it on two grounds:
>
> 1) I think the indirection would cause a new round of never-ending
>    complaints.
>
> 2) It doesn't _quite_ solve the tagging problem:
>
>    a) to work correctly under directory names, the "automatic tag"
>       for the =inventory file would have to be derived from the
>       tag of the directory containing the .arch-ids directory

Which should be done anyway and for all files in .arch-ids, because as
it is, renaming of a directory produces a changeset, that renames the
directory, does not mention files in it (they are renamed magicaly), but
deletes and re-adds everything in .arch-ids. However, I understand it's
a problem because such change would not be upwards compatible.

>    b) that tag isn't always there.   Therefore, if you were to add
>       the =inventory file first, commit, then tag the directory later,
>       the tag of the =inventory file would have to change -- it
>       would appear to be deleted and re-added.

IIRC files are not commited unless directories that contain them are.
And if the directory is commited, it must be tagged (which might be by
name, of course).

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>