Re: [Gnu-arch-users] (volunteers?) crypto signatures for arch

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] (volunteers?) crypto signatures for arch
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 08:33:46 +1100

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 08:12, Karel Gardas wrote:
> > `get' doesn't check signatures in this proposal.  My reasoning is that
> > while the archive host is going to have public keys (somewhere outside
> > of where arch itself can touch them) clients running `get' generally
> > won't.
>
> Oops, either I don't understand, or if I understand, that's IMHO no
> security at all. IMHO get _needs_ to verify signatures.

The immediate goal for GPG support, is to allow archive integrity checks
post-server-compromise - see the message from RMS in Tom's post.

Thus, having tla get check the signatures is orthogonal to the immediate
goal.

That said, having get check the signatures makes sense as a phase 2
implementation.

For users wanting to gpg check in phase 1, it's easy: archive-mirror to
the local disk, with copying signatures enabled. Then run the integrity
checking script tom proposed.

Rob