Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "virtual" archives in arch

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "virtual" archives in arch
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 17:04:27 -0600

On Sat, 2003-12-13 at 17:02, Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:
> Perhaps I'm being dense (it is a common occurrence), but I don't see
> how the gateway idea solves any of the problems people are bringing
> up, especially the crucial one of atomicity.  The whole point of
> having Arch deal directly with the CVS pserver is that the pserver (if
> it is the sole means of access to a CVS repository) provides the
> atomicity that gives this idea any prayer of working at all.

Err, you *are* aware that pserver launches a different process for each
user who's connected, and uses pretty much only file- and
directory-level locks (as opposed to full-repository locks), such that
different users can be changing different files in the same pserver
repository at once, right?

pserver does *NOT* buy repository-level atomicity.