Re: [Gnu-arch-users] A separate mailing list for tlator?

From: James Blackwell
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:00:06 -0500

Sam wrote:

> The problem is, i have a problem of having about zero feedback, so far.
>
> I didn`t really _ever_ heard from anybody if it is useful, which
> features it lacks, where should it be improved, whether it sucks,
> is it completely irrelevant, aggressively harmful or whatever.

Here's some things I noticed:

1. There are several errors right at the beginning of the compile

2. "make" is installing tlator -- a big surprise. Make shouldn't try and
  install anything during its default rule -- that is supposed to be
  reserved for the install rule.

3. I assume that because of #2, tlator doesn't run in place

4. When I run tlator, a window pops up for a fraction of a second and
  then tlator segfaults.

> I imply that it is a useful piece of software, and hence,
> i tend to attribute the problem to the fact that people are reluctant
> to bother the list with offtopic feedback on tlator.

Sam, consider your potential userbase. You've written a tool (tlator)
for a tool (tla) that is used by precious few. I'd bet that less than
1,000 people use tla at this point; among those, some of them aren't
even going to be aware of tlator. Others, such as myself, generally
don't use X or use kde instead of gnome. Some (again, including myself)
don't even feel a personal need for a front end.

Be patient, take your time, and scratch your own itch. As the tla
userbase grows, tlator's userbase will grow as well.

--
James Blackwell        Using I.T. to bring more                570-407-0488
Owner, Inframix        business to your business        http://inframix.com