Re: [Gnu-arch-users] --date

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] --date
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:17:28 -0600

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 19:10, James Blackwell wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 06:36:17PM -0600, Charles Duffy wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 17:07, James Blackwell wrote:
> > > You could also save my-id, set it to what you want, do your work, and
> > > set it back. This would be trivial in perl and probably trivial in
> > > python as well.
> >
> > Certainly, it's trivial, but the issue is safety. What if the script
> > errors out after my-id has been changed but before it's returned to its
> > original state?
>
> You should be a good enough coder to trap tla coring and have your script
> return my-id back to what it was. ;)

Sure,  but I'm not a good enough coder to trap the user bg'ing and then
kill -9'ing my script partway through its operation, or a user running
two instances of my script at once, or... [etc].

There's a difference between overengineering and writing code which
doesn't cause serious problems when the user does something which should
be entirely innocuous.