Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: revision control for documents (was plug-in foo

From: Tupshin Harper
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: revision control for documents (was plug-in foo)
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:45:02 -0800

Tom Lord wrote:

   > From: Thomas Zander <address@hidden>

   > The point being; if you are lying to the user [...] your
   > application should be upgraded to user expectations.

Somewhere around the time of the original Macintosh, the idea that
rather than _hiding_ markup languages from users we might _explain_
them to users fell out of fashion.  Not for any good reason, mind you:
the mac was far less capable a tool and experience had begun to be
accumulated that non-programmer users could grok mark-up just fine.
Nevertheless, in the decades since, the effort has primarily been to
"protect" users from a good understanding of what the heck they're
doing and the enhanced capabilities that would result from that
understanding.

-t
I find this attitude somewhat confusing. Using myself as an example:
I like markup (yes...i like XML...but let's not get into that)
I frequently work in editors where your primary view is the raw markup.
BUT...when I'm doing word processing, I want markup to *get out of the way*. Yes, it's nice to have the option to look at it when I really need to, but I would consider it a failure of my word-processor if I felt a need to look at it.

-Tupshin