Re: [Gnu-arch-users] extended attribute tracking

From: Brian May
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] extended attribute tracking
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 08:54:58 +1100

On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 10:22:24AM +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-12-25 at 10:10, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > I've been waiting for EAs to be supported by FSs for a couple of years now;
> > is
> > there any filesystem already known to do so, or one that will do it in 2004?
>
> I've been using setfattr and getfattr on my XFS filesystem, and ext2/3
> supports it them well.

Linux 2.4.x supports attrs for ext2+ext3 with a kernel patch.
Linux 2.6.x supports them with no patch (support must be compiled in).

An "unsupported" patch exists for attrs for reiserfs, but if you really
want attr support it would appear better to go with ext2 or ext3 at the
moment.

attrs can currently be used for ACLs and SE-Linux. Are there any good
reasons why you would want to store them in an arch repository?
--
Brian May <address@hidden>