Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Idea for a feature

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Idea for a feature
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 20:41:32 -0800 (PST)

    > From: James Blackwell <address@hidden>

    > This is where the dates come into play. We can ignore the whole
    > race condition by using a wider granularity than any potential
    > race. I.E., out of "2004-12-25-04:00:45", we only consider the
    > "2004-12-25-04:00" part.

There's no need for any of that.

A changestap file just contains a random, hopefully unique string like
"slIDFJoiu234njknjdf907oijkhweiornk3n4,mn".  If the file for some
region of the archive is different than it was the last time you (a
mirror process) saw it, then you have to recurse one layer down in the
archive.  No sequence numbers, no timestamps, no
race-condition-granularity issues.