Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla-rsync-mirror

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla-rsync-mirror
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 12:19:57 +0000

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 10:27:09AM +1100, Brian May wrote:

>     Andrew> Disadvantages: - there is presently a small window in
>     Andrew> which the destination archive is in an "inconsistent"
>     Andrew> state during mirroring, which archive-mirror does not
>     Andrew> have. This is actually a bug; I know how to fix it, but it
>     Andrew> requires some new code in rsync. To the best of my
>     Andrew> knowledge, tla won't have any real problems with this - it
>     Andrew> will either ignore the revisions that have not been
>     Andrew> completely mirrored yet, or fail with an error, depending
>     Andrew> on what it's doing.
>
> What is considered an "inconsistent" state?

A log file, changeset, optional continuation file, and checksum file
are needed for a completeish revision, and presently they aren't all
installed atomically.

> What is your proposed solution?

Directory-level atomicity in rsync, paralleling the current file-level
atomicity: create a new directory, build a hardlink forest, and
rename. It's not complicated to implement; figuring out how to
describe it on the command line seems to be the hardest part.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |