Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Are pristine trees really dead?

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Are pristine trees really dead?
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 00:10:23 -0500

Tom Lord wrote:

   > From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>

   > Tom, what do you think of the following patch, to basically use
   > --library by default if there's a greedy library?

Merged.  (Not pushed yet.)

-t

My heart sank when I saw this, because I've been working on my own pristine-killing patch. But at a glance, my patch solves a different problem. When a greedy library wasn't the first library, find_or_make_local_copy ignored it.

With my changes, all greedy libraries are considered, and the greedy to be used is chosen by the criteria library_add_choice uses:
greedies that contain the same version are preferred over
greedies that contain the same branch, which are preferred over
treedies that contain the same archive, but if there aren't any we use
the first-listed greedy.

So if you have one or more greedies, no matter where they appear in the path, tla changes, undo, and others will no longer produce pristines.

The practical upshot of this is that you can use your greedy to track head
revisions, while keeping a milestone revisions (e.g. branch points) in a
non-greedy that you can manipulate with library-add/remove (and no need to
specify which library on the commandline).

aaron.bentley--tla-2004/tlasrc--local--1.2--patch-12
http://www.sourcecontrol.net/~abentley/archives/tlasrc/

It should apply cleanly to tla--devo--1.2--patch-50

Now I'll go look at Miles' patch.

Aaron