Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re-linking to revlib implemented

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re-linking to revlib implemented
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:32:05 -0500

      Robert Collins:
>     > So there might be an error-handling branch, a diff-speedups branch, a
>     > no-pristines branch, etc?  Do I keep my own integration branch and
>     > star-merge them into it?

Tom Lord:
> I'm not _entirely_ of the same opinion as Robert: I think you can do
> more than one thing in a single version and still be reasonable to
> merge from.   I wouldn't just apply the blanket judgement "bad" to
> multi-purpose development branches.

[long explanation of the preceeding paragraph]

Though in retrospect I think this is the right way to go, there's one
nasty side effect of doing things this way.

Speaking personally, I make changes that I like in a wide variety of
places; I make changes to rbrowse, grab, delta, etc. When I keep all of
these changes in seperate branches without some sort of integration
branch, I no longer have a "jblack" version of tla that is comprised
of all of my changes.

Because of Tom's high latency, I may have to wait days, weeks, sometimes
even months for me to personally benefit from all of the changes that I
have made.

I suppose there's workarounds. I could make a tla--local, and merge
everything one-way into there..... but this has its own side effects. As
time passes and patches accumulate, I would have three possible
decisions that I can make: I can develop against tom's version, I can
develop against my version, or I can halt development and wait for Toms
version to converge towards mine.

None of those three choices are appealing over the long term.

--
James Blackwell      Using I.T. to bring more             570-407-0488
Owner, Inframix      business to your business     http://inframix.com