Re: [Gnu-arch-users] how about a game?

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] how about a game?
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:29:38 +0000

After trying to think up a better name for "queue" on IRC, I realised
it wasn't wanted anyway. Not yet implemented, but here's what will
happen:

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 08:26:03PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > * Bug and Patch Flow
> >
> > ** New Bugs
> >
> >   When someone reports a bug on gnu-arch-users, it is up to the
> >   bug masters to add it to the bug tree.
> >
> >   Intially, they should format it suitably, assign it a name, and
> >   if nothing else, add it to "incoming" subtree.
>
> s/incoming/new/
>
> In the central tree, all valid bugs in "new" are assigned serial
> numbers and moved into "incoming".

Bugs are assigned serial numbers and moved into unassigned/incoming/

> >   Periodically, the bug masters can post a summary of recent additions
> >   to "incoming" to gnu-arch-dev and gnu-arch-users with the string
> >   "[NEW BUGS]" in the subject line.
> >

> > ** Bug Queue
> >
> >   It is up to the bug masters, in consultation with the user community
> >   and the players, to schedule bug fixes.
> >
> >   Mechanically, they do this by moving the bug from "incoming" to
> >   "queue".   Files in "queue" get a numeric prefix -- assigned in the
> >   order in which bugs arrive.
>
> The number is now assigned when bugs enter incoming. The transition
> from incoming to queue is a simple move.

Queue is gone. Bugs transition directly from unassigned to assigned.

> >   Periodically, the bug masters can post a summary of recent additions
> >   to the queue to gnu-arch-dev and gnu-arch-users with the string
> >   "[BUG PRIORITIES]" in the subject line.

The priorities are taken from unassigned/todo/

The structure under unassigned is arbitrary and will vary as
necessary, but no further directories other than incoming and todo are
expected in the immediate future.

> >   Gatekeepers are permitted to move a bug from "queue" back to
> >   "incoming" -- stripping away the assigned number.  When that
> >   happens, the number that was assigned to the bug should not be
> >   reused.   If the bug later goes back from "incoming" to "queue" it
> >   gets a new number.  (One reason this might happen is if a newly
> >   arrived bug is more important than some that are in the queue.)

Gatekeepers can ignore the subdirectories and pick any bugs from
unassigned/. The nag mails only list things from unassigned/todo/, and
gatekeepers are encouraged to focus on bugs in todo.

Gatekeepers are not responsible for the categorisation of bugs under
unassigned/

> > ** Bug Assignments
> >
> >   The goal is to give each gatekeeper a list of 10 bugs which are the
> >   bugs owned by that gatekeeper.   These are the bugs the gatekeeper
> >   should be working on or working with a coder to fix.
> >
> >   Periodically, when a gatekeeper has fewer than 10 bugs, the bug
> >   masters should post a message to the gnu-arch-dev list with the
> >   string "[PICK BUGS <name>]" where "<name>" is the name of the
> >   gatekeeper.   The body of the message should include a summary of
> >   the bug queue.

s/bug queue/contents of unassigned\/todo/

> >   The gatekeeper should reply, changing the subject line to "[PICKED
> >   BUGS <name>]", with a list of bug names for bugs that gatekeeper
> >   agrees to own.   The bug masters should then move those bugs from
> >   the "queue" directory to appropriate "owned" subdirectory.

Gatekeepers can pick any bugs from unassigned, not just those offered.

> A mail interface to tools/punt-bug will be provided, which moves any
> bug back to incoming. All the other things in tools/ correspond to the
> mail interface described above.

Back to unassigned/incoming/, but this might change.

If incoming becomes large, then unassigned/old/ will be created, and
punted bugs will be go there. Also, bugs which are in incoming and
older than a given time will be moved into old. (This need only be
implemented if the incoming bug list becomes so large that scanning it
is difficult)

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |