Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla pcomplete (aka emacs/eshell)

From: Scott Bronson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla pcomplete (aka emacs/eshell)
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:28:08 -0800

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 14:02, Jeremy Shaw wrote:
> My plan at this point is to reuse the ~/.tla-commands file and rewrite
> .tla-bash-complete in elisp.

That's exactly what I would do.

> I toyed with the idea of programmatically
> translating the bash completion code into elisp -- but that will
> probably take longer than just writing a native implementation from
> scratch.

The bash completion code is somewhat of a mess (largely because
the completion API is a _disaster_ -- much of the messiness
consists of workarounds).  So, yes, starting afresh sounds
prudent.

What about going in reverse?  Do you suppose it would be possible
to generate the bash completions from your elisp code?  It's an
idea, but I don't know if it's a *good* idea.  :)

    - Scott