Re: [Gnu-arch-users] new `tla changes --diffs' behavior

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] new `tla changes --diffs' behavior
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:44:45 +1100

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 10:36, Miles Bader wrote:
> In Tom's latest version, `tla changes --diffs' outputs the entire
> contents of new files as diffs.
>
> While this is definitely a needed function, I don't think it should be
> the default -- for making patches it's handy, but for interactively
> seeing `hmm, what have I changed' it's very annoying (I can see that I
> added a new file from the summary output, and the actual contents are
> not usually an issue -- but I _do_ want to see diffs for _changed_
> files).  In my usage, the `hmmm' case is by far the most common.
>
> This is the way `diff' works too: by default it doesn't show whole-file
> changes, but you can do so using the following options:
>
>   -N,  --new-file                 Treat absent files as empty.
>   -P,  --unidirectional-new-file  Treat absent first files as empty.
>
> So how about just adding these options to `tla changes' too?
> [I can do so if nobody else want to.]

If you want to sratch it, go ahead. But the default should be on IMO.
(Otherwise -N becomes an 'unbreak me please' option.) Oh, and we don't
need two flags, just one to toggle it on or off for both added and
deleted files.

> [BTW, another issue is: currently it shows new-file diffs even for added
> patch-logs; should it do this, or maybe should it need a special option?]

It should, yes. I'm working (albeitly tortoise like) on full
serialisation. That will definately have a flag to turn it on and off.

Rob