Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implement

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implementation prototypes
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:03:35 +1100

On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 13:34, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> That logic is precisely why http pipelining doesn't work in practice.

Err, nope. Wearing my squid hat, I can suggest a couple of solid
reasons...

1) Bad implementations of logic surrounding other http issues. I.e.
until very recently Mozilla sent incorrect rfc2617 digest use counts
along parallel or single connections.
2) single-step requests which require data results before submitting new
requests - using digest as an example again, when a new nonce is
assigned, requests already issued with the old one are invalidated. Note
that this is orthogonal to the actual request being made.
3) Misuse of non-idempotetent methods for idempotent operations, and
vice versa. (How may GET cgi's have you seen that have side effects? And
how many POST's that don't??!)
4) Broken http persistent connection logic in common browsers and
servers.

Probably more, but thats what comes straight to mind...

Rob