Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Increasing the filename space (Or: begging for trou

From: Johannes Berg
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Increasing the filename space (Or: begging for trouble?)
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 17:10:18 +0100

> It means that patch logs, the output of `inventory', etc. will have a
> peculiar encoding form -- users are free to put UTF-8 into headers or
> body content that they write, but filenames will look odd.  That
> problem, however, can be fixed by a thin-layer of transcoding on code
> that spews these things for human consumption.

Does this mean that all control stuff/filenames tla puts into logs and
everywhere else will be 7-bit clean, and just look weird & escaped?

I've been using UTF-8 in my logs for a while, but I don't think logs should
necessarily be UTF-8; for some people their local charset will make more
sense.

johannes