[Gnu-arch-users] thoughts on utf-8 filenames

From: Johannes Berg
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] thoughts on utf-8 filenames
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 01:22:32 +0100

Hi,

Just some random thoughts that occurred to me today.

1) Most of the stuff can be stuck into a vu handler that escapes
   filenames when going out and unescapes them when going in. I know,
   I'm doing it constantly in the hackerlab win32 port :-)

2) you still need to handle filenames supplied by the user, design
   question:
   should the user be _allowed_ to specify filenames in their encoded
   version _without_ explicitely telling TLA so? (I think this is
   hard to implement because who says a file named "asdf\U+E4" is
   named "asdfä" or actually "asdf\U+E4"? That name is currently invalid
   within TLA, but not on the filesystem.)

3) how does tar handle filenames like that? I think it simply stores the
   byte sequence that the kernel returns.

Actually, I think it boils down to:
Does tla want to be `smart' about filenames, ie. convert them, or does
it just want to store the byte-sequence in filenames as-is?

johannes
--
http://www.sipsolutions.de/
Key-ID: 9AB78CA5 Johannes Martin Berg <address@hidden>