Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch Configuration: Replication and fail safe

From: ALEJANDROLANDIM
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch Configuration: Replication and fail safe
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:11:52 GMT

Michaeljohn Clement wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 03:37, ALEJANDROLANDIM wrote:
> > > What type of data?
> > At first I just want to have simple text files and binary files, but
> > later I'd like to have databases (that would require modifying tla to
> > work great with binary database tables)
> <snip>
> > Yes, I'd like to have websites managed with tla using my proposed
> > configuration.
>
> It sounds almost as if you are thinking of using Arch as a
> general-purpose incremental backup system, and replicating file system.
>
> Arch is designed for source code version control, and there's a chance
> that you haven't found exactly the right tool for what you need to do.
> Probably there is such a tool, maybe if you can give a more explicit
> description of what you are interested in accomplishing, someone on this
> list can at least point you in the right direction.

I could go with a system without branches but I need to keep all
versions in a consistent state. An incremental backup system is not
enough since that is not symmetrical, I want all the versions on all the
computers and if some computer gets compromised it can't remove
the version history from the other computers.