[Gnu-arch-users] Re: inode caching for explicit id's completed

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: inode caching for explicit id's completed
Date: 12 Feb 2004 12:05:41 +0900

Aaron Bentley <address@hidden> writes:
> When making a changeset, can you zap the path data from the sig before
> using it for comparisons?  You should be able to look up files by
> dev+inode anyway.

But note that you can't rely on the device-number across remounts, so
it's basically not useful in inode signatures.

[See my earlier post on this subject for a few more details; no one
objected then, so I'll submit a patch to stop using device numbers, though
I'll probably wait until Robert is finished twiddling with things.]

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.