Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Trying out the new escaping version...

From: chth
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Trying out the new escaping version...
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:20:26 +0100

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:32:38 +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> > I made the changes i promised:
> >
> >  versionfix-1
> >   accept escaped filenames on add, delete, move, id, library-file,
> > file-diffs, commit
>
> Unfortunately this breaks more than fixes, because usualy the filename
> is NOT from tla. And thus it WON'T be escaped.
>
> In other words I expect this to work:
> $ mkdir foo\\bar
> $ tla add foo\\bar
> But it says:
> PANIC: Illegal escape sequence!

Thats by intention. It accepts "foo bar" and "foo\(sp)bar" but it will
barf on illegal escape sequences (guess why there is a panic() call).
For the one OS which accepts \ as path limiter the tla implementation
also accepts /.

In the rare case that you want filenames with backslashes you have to
escape them "tla add 'foo\\\\bar'" or "tla add `tla escape 'foo\\bar'`".

This is the correct and intended behaviour.
That tla also accepts "foo bar" is a intended side effect.

> Please, make this behaviour optional, non-default before mergeing
> anywhere!

Afaik there is NO catch all solution, either people have to use
--unesecaped (or --escaped if we implement the other way around) or it
accepts escaped filenames and people have to escape backslashes. Making
it optional would require another commandline argument and that is
exactly what it should not do.

I think that the solution now supports the needs of most users and is
easy to handle. I am open to any suggestion how to make impossible
things happen, just tell me.

        Christian