Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] the poetry of donald rumsfeld

From: Robin Green
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] the poetry of donald rumsfeld
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 20:10:31 +0000

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 03:16:21PM -0700, Pierce T.Wetter III wrote:
>  The focus on the WMD issue irritates me, because I took the time to
> read all the state department briefings rather then be told what to
> think by the media, not to mention pages and pages of personal
> research. Our decision to go into Iraq was quite complicated and
> agonizing, and there was more then one reason.

I'd be slightly more inclined to take the reasons given by the US
and UK governments seriously, if they hadn't repeatedly lied, used
innuendo (e.g. the purported Al Quaeda link),
misrepresented what they had, used fraudulent evidence (e.g.
the Niger documents), and done a 180 on Iraq's "danger to the world"
with (as we can now clearly see) no significant supporting evidence,
or none that has yet been disclosed. (And I have every reason to believe
that there is none.)

  "He [Saddam Hussein] has not developed any significant capability with
  respect to weapons of mass destruction. He is unable to project
  *conventional* power against his neighbours."
  -- Colin Powell, February 24, 2001 [emphasis added]

  "We are able to keep his arms from him. His military forces have not
  been rebuilt."
  -- Condoleeza Rice, April 2001

I could say that I took the time to read about WMD in the left media, rather
than be "told what to think" by the television and the US and UK governments,
but then that could be perceived as ever so slightly patronising...
don't you think, Pierce?
--
Robin