Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:28:11 -0800 (PST)

    > From: James Blackwell <address@hidden>

    > > The FSF _may_ screw up v3.   That event has probability P and a "cost"
    > > (of some sort) PC.

    > See the GFDL as proof that the FSF can, and sometimes does,
    > screw up.

Our opinions differ.

    > Also see these posts as proof (at least to some) that the FSF is likely
    > to screw up again:
    >
    > 'http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Licensing_and_Law/gplv3-plans.html'

What of it?  I happen to strongly agree that the ASP issue needs
solving.

I just found the narrowness of the implementation of AFPL (the license
being referred to in that post) appallingly naive and awkward.

There are plenty of big-moneyed folks out there who don't want
individual users to have _any_ applications installed on machines that
they own.   They want people to own, in essense, dumb terminals.

They don't want this just because they are mad scientists, but because
there is some economic sense to it.    On the other hand, GPL v2 isn't
designed to handle it and there are substantial free software issues
in play with this idea.

    > > The only way to make a decision here is make a guess about which is
    > > true:

    > [long proof deleted]

    > Though that discussion may apply to new projects, it can't apply in this
    > project. This project (defintion upon creation) is that the site is a
    > single work comprised of the contributions of many.

Right.   I think it was a mild f'up to not just use v2+ all along.

    > When I created the site and did the first dozen pages, I weighed the
    > safety of the well known GPL v2 against the risks of what the FSF has
    > done with the GFDL and apparently intends to do with the GPLv3. As I was
    > unwilling to host a website with the intended consequences of the GPLv3.
    > As such, I created a site that I *would* be willing to host.

I don't understand why ASP-changes in v3 would effect you.
Wiki-editors aren't changing your server software, they're changing
wiki content.

    > To those that mistakenly thought the site was gplv2+ -- This confusion
    > was caused by those who illegially changed the license on the site (I've
    > heard that the license violator is the very same person that created
    > this thread in the first place). If you are not comfortable with your
    > pages being v2 only, you can remove your pages and put them elsewhere.

Yeah, sticky wicket, there.