Re: [Gnu-arch-users] a brief note on "delta compression"

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] a brief note on "delta compression"
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 15:45:30 -0400

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 11:47:39AM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
> As far as I can tell, it's because 90+% of the time arch's facilities
> for archive-cached revisions and revision libraries solve the same
> problem, better, and more simply, albeit at the cost of more disk
> space.

Beware of the `as far as i can tell' factor though.  Cached revisions are a
huge page in the ass with emacs because they're so @#$%! large, so I try to
use them as rarely as possible, with the result that anyone tracking emacs
only occasionally is going to pay the zillion-changeset price.  It'd be nice
to have some way for that not to happen.

I don't know how much the actual size of the _deltas_ would be reduced by
e.g. summary deltas (as dicussed here before), but with tla it usually seems
to be the number of changesets applied that's the killer in this case.  There
are no doubt other improvements that could reduce the per-changeset overhead,
but who knows, maybe summary deltas are easier...  :-)

Thanks,

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.