Re: [Gnu-arch-users] a brief note on "delta compression"

From: Martin Pool
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] a brief note on "delta compression"
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 17:18:45 +1000

On  3 May 2004, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 11:47:39AM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
> > As far as I can tell, it's because 90+% of the time arch's facilities
> > for archive-cached revisions and revision libraries solve the same
> > problem, better, and more simply, albeit at the cost of more disk
> > space.
>
> Beware of the `as far as i can tell' factor though.  Cached revisions are a
> huge page in the ass with emacs because they're so @#$%! large, so I try to
> use them as rarely as possible, with the result that anyone tracking emacs
> only occasionally is going to pay the zillion-changeset price.  It'd be nice
> to have some way for that not to happen.

Maybe someone who does have a lot of disk should mirror your emacs
archive, and add cacherevs from a cron job.

Even if they were short on disk they could delete all but the N most
recent cacherevs; presumably for tracking things like emacs cvs or
linux kernel head old revisions become much less interesting.

I can imagine that adding them would be a big problem if all the
source needs to come down to your workstation and then back up to the
public server.  If the cacherevs are generated on the mirror you won't
need to clog up your network in generating them, and they can be kept
to a small constant amount.

I can even do this on sourcefrog if you think it would help, though
sourcecontrol might be a better place.

--
Martin