Re: [Gnu-arch-users] star-merge vs apply-delta (was: [MERGE REQUEST: lor

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] star-merge vs apply-delta (was: [MERGE REQUEST: lord] documentation and help enhancements)
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 19:33:59 -0400

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 06:30:33PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > A while ago I wanted to be able to specify the common ancestor REVISION to
> > star-merge, but then realized that apply-delta would do the same job.
>
> apply-delta could only do the same job if you're not using --three-way.
>
>         Stefan "Using --three-way all the way"

Is there any reason why more commands couldn't use it?  At least update and
apply delta would seem to have info about three versions, and it would be
handy to have a more primitive version of --three-way (without star-merge's
auto-magic).

Given your championing of it, I've been giving --three-way a try, and indeed
it's very handy -- my conflicts are reduced to almost nothing (though some of
the remaining conflicts are ... weird), with only changelogs stubbornly
resisting, and I have a shell script to handle those.

-Miles
--
Come now, if we were really planning to harm you, would we be waiting here,
 beside the path, in the very darkest part of the forest?