Re: [Gnu-arch-users] export of reference manual

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] export of reference manual
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 14:12:53 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Matthieu Moy <address@hidden>

    > William Dode <address@hidden> writes:

    > > Salut,

    > Salut !

    > > I just write a litle python script to export the reference manual in
    > > somes formats :

    > Good job!

I just want to add:

That's the original intention.   I second the "good job".

In the ideal, cross-referencing, special formatting for stuff that
should be formatted like computer input or output, etc. should all be
derivable from --help output.   For that matter, the _types_ of
arguments and of option arguments should be derivable from --help
output.

Probably the current --help output is not 100% consistent with that
but where it diverges I regard that as bugs.

In other words, please feel free to submit or solicit changes to
--help output to make it more useful for deriving a reference manual
this way.

    > With little  effort, you could  also generate an info  file (browsable
    > from Emacs of the command "info") ...

    > That's by the way supposed to be a requirement for a GNU project ...

Yup.   Let's help rejuvinate the slightly bitrotted initiative of the
GNU project at making a set of very practical standards along those
lines.

(And, if we have the energy, let's kill the TeX-glitches of info.)