Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Using arch for offline development

From: Cameron Patrick
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Using arch for offline development
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 17:01:22 +0800

Wazow wrote:

| I cannot push the hole repository out of the machine whenever being
| offline (bcs this is a huge tarball with the entire cvs tree),

That's what rsync is for :-)

| So what I would really like is a little script (which I can write
| myself, with a little hint from you on what tla mechanisms I shall
| use) that would commit my notebook-branch changes to my
| server-branch changes, but not in one shot (all notebook changesets
| as one server changeset) but consecutively one by one, so that
| server log entries are the same as notebook log entries (and the
| changesets are really the same, unless someone interphered on the
| way).

I don't think you can do quite that, because the archive names would
have to be different in each location, so you can't have precisely the
same changesets in both archives.  Taking advantage of star-merge is
the easiest way to do things, but it won't get you individual commits
and identical log messages.

Other than that, your scripts sounds feasible.  I think what you'd do
is use `tla missing` to determine which patches haven't been applied
from the other location.  Then you could loop through each patch using
`tla replay` to apply them, `tla cat-log` to extract the log from the
revision and finally `tla commit` to commit it to the new archive.

Cheers,

Cameron.