Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla seeing stale .listing files through caching web

From: Adrian Irving-Beer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla seeing stale .listing files through caching web proxy
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 15:32:01 -0400

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 04:21:12PM +0100, Richard Curnow wrote:

TLA:
> GET http://stampede.org/~lethal/%7barchive%7d/linux/ [. . .]

wget:
> GET http://stampede.org/%7Elethal/%7Barchive%7D/linux/ [. . .]

I don't know the root of your problem, but I do know that according to
my Squid proxy, these are two different URLs, even if they're both just
the differently-escaped versions of the same URL.  The tilde is not
escaped in the first, and it uses lowercase escapes instead of
uppercase.  (The case actually makes a difference, too, in my proxy.)

I guess it just passes the URL raw to the target server, and doesn't do
any escaping itself.  So it makes sense that asking for each would get
you different cached versions.

I would explore more, but unfortunately, I can't test locally... I think
our proxy finds server access too fast and doesn't bother caching it or
something. :)  Or it could be that I have to use internal (192.168...)
addresses.

Possible solutions:
        * use Apache mod_expires directives server-side,
        * use ACLs that exclude anything arch-like from being cached,
        * hack tla to use 'no-cache' directives.

I had to abandon use of tla over a proxy altogether, myself.  We use
tight header filtering (inclusive, not exclusive) and there are just too
many WebDAV headers to recompile Squid every time I find a new one.
Particular the ones that turn out to be critical to a commit, and that
cause tla to leave the repo in a manual-intervention-required state. :)