[Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch logs not rfc(2)822 compatible

From: Matthew Dempsky
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch logs not rfc(2)822 compatible
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 11:15:54 -0500

Miles Bader wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, it's not really intended to be parsable -- it's
just a string.

I think you may misunderstand the issue -- you're right that tla never uses the Date entry in the patch logs (instead it uses Standard-date), however, RFC 822 reserves Date as a header entry and also specifies the formatting it uses. Consequently, attempting to use a strict RFC 822 parser to load a patch log will error when it finds the bad header entry.

Since tla doesn't need to read (well, parse at least) the Date header entry back in, I think we'd be fine simply changing the output format. Only scripts that rely on it being non-RFC-822-compliant will break.

-jivera