Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 14:39:22 -0400

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 13:57, Florian Weimer wrote:

> Well, you can coax tla into a centralized development model, by
> handing out something which is rather close to shell access.

??  Committers only have sftp access, if you use something like rssh.  I
also use SELinux on top of it.  You can also use WebDAV, kerberized ftp,
whatever.

> Thanks.  I'm actually looking for such projects, especially if they
> have active development mailing lists.  Do you know further examples?

Squid maybe?

> What does this mean for tla's merging capabilities?  Will users notice
> that the logs suddenly went away?

They will certainly see a bunch of "D {arch}/blah" in the changesets if
that's what you mean.

> Could you do that monthly, too,
> without any negative impact?

I think if you were careful not to prune logs from still-active
branches, sure.

> >> I'd love to look at a project which uses tla, hasn't got a designated
> >> patch integrator, and has a significant changeset creation rate.
> >
> > Define "significant".
>
> More than 1200 changesets per month.

Rhythmbox isn't at that level for sure; it varies a lot, but we max out
probably around 200 a month.

Anyways, it works well.  You really should stop saying arch doesn't work
for centralized development of large projects until you have *proof*.