Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 20:12:00 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Andrew Suffield <address@hidden>

    > POSIX ACLs are a complete solution to this problem, so it's already
    > happened. You still have to avoid being a dick with your umask, of
    > course - umask is widely considered to be a *good* feature, not one
    > which filesystems and applications should go out of their way to
    > break.

I just have to say, given how prominent the topic of "tone" is in our
past mailing list history, that I really admire your tone here.  I'm
able to admire it only because what you say is so nearly consistently
right that the tone becomes just a kind of graceful embelleshment.
You're one of those guys who generally speaks a significant truth but
the form of your expression always somehow involves giving the finger.
It's a delicate, exacting, difficult, and impressive mode of
expression.  Thank you for doing it so well.

Golden Software Engineering Principle Number 139:
        "Avoid being a dick"  -- A. Suffield

"I love the word `avoid' for its precise ambiguity." -- T. Lord