Re: [Gnu-arch-users] java port

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] java port
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:32:40 +0200

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 12:11:23 +0200, Peter Conrad wrote:

> I've thought about Java integration of arch for a while, and I've come to
> the conclusion that the best way to do it would be to write Java wrapper
> classes that execute 'tla' and parse its output.
>
> For one thing, using 'tla' is necessary for some operations (e. g. Java has
> no portable support for modifying unix file permissions).
>
> More important, though, is the fact that IMO the internal operations of tla
> currently change much faster than tla's external interface. Following these
> changes would probably much more difficult and error-prone than simply
> relying on tla to do things properly.
>
> For the integration into an IDE it might become necessary to cache some
> of tla's output for efficiency reasons, but that'd become obvious at a
> later stage, I suppose. I'd start simply by writing the tla wrapper and
> build higher-level functionality based on that.

Aaron Bentley is already doing that in Python. And I do really think
it's by far more valuable than the same think in java. That's because
python is a high level dynamic language, that allows quite fast
development. And it runs on all common systems. Since you call tla
anyway, java won't give you any extra portability and development in
java is comparable to C++.

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>