Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: How does arch/tla handle encodings?

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: How does arch/tla handle encodings?
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:20:06 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Andrew Suffield <address@hidden>

    > On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 01:54:58PM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
    > >     > There are plenty of languages for which character sets don't even
    > >     > exist yet. It's almost certain that at least one of them will
break
    > >     > some fundamental assumption.

    > > Because you, asuffield, know more than the various linguists and
    > > software hackers who have plotted out the Unicode design rules?

    > Because anything else is sheer hubris. If you don't have good reason
    > to believe you're right (and in this case, there's a fairly hefty
    > region that just hasn't been explored yet), you have to assume that
    > you probably aren't, and plan accordingly.

In other words, yes, in your judgement, all of those (quite a few,
actually) experts lack "good reason" for their product and you know
better?  Ok, then....   Yeah, I can see how that could happen.

To be more fair: absent a lot of reading around (including stuff I
doubt you could find easily on the internet) it is probably a bit hard
to appreciate the Unicode design.   Absent willingness to poke around
a lot in the issues it is probably hard to dispell
rumor-based-skepticism of it.    That's unfortunate.

All I'll say is: look deeper and keep a clear eye on the distinction
between codepoint assignments and overall structure.   It makes hugely
more sense than you might think.