Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Upcoming release of 1.2.2rc1

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Upcoming release of 1.2.2rc1
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:26:22 -0400

James Blackwell wrote:
On Monday 30 August 2004 17.00, Aaron Bentley wrote:

 2. The tag boundary detection code has illuminated some long
term tla misbehavior that nobody seemed aware of. As such,
panicing was too strong a step to take, and the panic has been
reduced to a warning.

That warning should not happen at all if the tag isn't really
being truncated.  I believe that was Duffy's case?

And maybe the warning belongs in tree-lint, rather than the main
inventory.

Robin Farine wrote:

Why is it a problem at all when an embedded file id crosses the 1K boundary ? I thought it was just a limit to _search_ for an id. Can someone comment on this ?

Its a problem because you thought the tag was "this is my tag", but tla
thinks the tag is "this is". Imagine the resulting mess when you try and
add tag that happens to be "this is".

I think Robin's proposing that taglines which cross the 1K boundary should be ignored completely. (Thus, untagged-source in many cases.)

My own idea was that taglines which crossed that boundary should be read properly instead of being truncated, but it seems like a lot of effort for very little gain.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology