Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Features command for arch

From: Adrian Irving-Beer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Features command for arch
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:31:59 -0400

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 11:08:50PM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:

> When I balance my checkbook, I do the math by hand and double check
> with a calculator: I'm not sure we can expect people to be so
> careful with a centralized "features" table and I'm not sure what
> the "features" equivalent of a calculator (for double checking)
> would be.

I hope I'm understanding the discussion so far, but it sounds like
'features' is a cheap way to announce capabilities that are
programmatically (but expensively) provable.

If that's the case, couldn't your regression tests be your calculator?

If so, then perhaps the inclusion of a regression test that compares
actual behaviour vs. 'features' flag could be a mandatory (or socially
mandatory) prerequisite for any new addition to the features table.