Re: [Gnu-arch-users] maintaining perl modules with arch?

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] maintaining perl modules with arch?
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 23:16:33 +0000

On 03 Sep 2004 23:11:05 +0100, Stig Brautaset wrote:

> Just thought I'd share a tip.
>
> I've come to use the following [precommit] hook:
[...]
> the `=inc-perlmod-ver.pl' program in turn looks like this:
[...]
> This has the effect of automatically incrementing the $VERSION number
> of any modified perl modules just before commit. It Works for Me(tm),
> and I thought somebody might find it useful. May need tweaking to fit
> your conventions.

Just note that your procedure always increments the version number and
you have no chance to set it manually (i.e. switch from 2.5.39 to 2.6.0).

A solution may be to examine "changes --diffs" and ignore files with the
modified  +$VERSION  lines.

However, I am not personally comfortable with precommit hooks patching
the sources, they are potentially dangerous and unexpected.

I prefer to keep a single package version and increment it manually on
every "make dist".

Regards,
Mikhael.