Re: [Gnu-arch-users] How to fix the tagline problem

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] How to fix the tagline problem
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 16:26:31 +0200

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 12:28:35 +0200, Harald Meland wrote:
> [Matthew Dempsky]
>
> > (Basically, if the strings are equal then they're always the same.  If
> > `strict' is 0, then we allow the length to differ by one as long as
> > the rest is identical and print out a warning message.)
>
> Personally, I *think* I'd rather have the non-strict comparison ignore
> any and all CR and LF characters at the end of (at least tagline, not
> sure if one ought to bother with implicit) ids.

There is never a CR or LF character in at the end of tagline! There is
a NORMAL CHARACTER. The routine reading tagline simply ignores last
character, because "it must be a newline" and ignores the fact, that
emacs treats newlines as line separators and will hapily create files
without newline at the end, though such files violate traditional unix
expectations (and eg. patch had problems with them until recentry).

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>