Re: [Gnu-arch-users] s/GMT/UTC/

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] s/GMT/UTC/
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 02:00:17 +0100

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 08:14:29AM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> UTC is the newer name for GMT (actually, technically I thik they're
> slightly different times, but anyway...).

UTC is basically the world trying to deny that timezones originate in
Greenwich by renaming it. Political correctness gone completely insane.

> My recommendation is to use UTC rather than GMT. It's more accurately
> defined.

This is not true. It is differently defined, but no more
accurately. It is also unsupported by unix platforms, and anything
else based on time_t; they really give you GMT and call it UTC
(inexplicably). It's actually off by a few seconds. UTC is not
reliably defined in the future; you cannot say with precision what
time it will be in one million seconds, other than "one million
seconds from now"; there is no definition of how many seconds will be
in a given year until that year occurs.

It's not really the most sensible way to describe time.

> It appears to me to be more The Standard.

That's just masturbation.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |