Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [NOT-BUG] tla 1.2.2rc1 doesn't accept {arch}/=partn

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [NOT-BUG] tla 1.2.2rc1 doesn't accept {arch}/=partner-versions file.
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 03:33:53 -0400

Tom Lord wrote:
>> Now you are taking the development philosophy:
>>
>>      Make only correctness-preserving/enhancing changes to the
>>         program.
>>
>> to a (eventually dangerous?) new level.

David Allouche:
> I am not sure I understand what you mean.

I took it as a compliment, but these days I can't tell. If it weren't
for my other commitments, I would have plonked him long ago. His
behavior on the list is saintly compared to the stuff he's been sending
me privately and in limited distribution.

David continues:
> The intention does not seem to be "we must not fix old bugs in the
> stable version" but more something like "we should not do anything but
> fix regressions once rc1 is out".

That's the idea. My concern is that a bugfix could come in that's even
worse than the problem its solving. That's a reasonable risk during open
development, but when we're trying to release thats a big risk to take.

After all, if we held whenever a year old bug was discovered, we'd
_never_ release, and have no measurable progress.

That said, tonight Aaron and I found a 1.2.1 bug with get-changeset. We
stayed up late fixing it (which is piglating for "Aaron did all the hard
work and I merged it) getting it done. Since he knew exactly where the
bug was, how to fix it, and the ramifications, _and_ a test case, I'm
making an exception for this one and cutting a 1.2.2rc2 in the morning,
which restarts the clock.

However, since I'm the one that found it, and because it already existed
in 1.2.1, the prize went unclaimed this time around.

But the good news is the same deal applies to rc2! That's right. If your
the first find a bug in rc2 that wasn't in <= 1.2.1, you get ten bucks.
And I'll still double the award if you prove it with a test case. :)

> I expect the various issues which have been raised (apply-delta w/o
> default archive, explicit tag of files in {arch}) to be acceptable to
> fix in the stable branch once 1.2.2 is out.

I'd be thrilled to review the delta patch for 1.2.3. I want to know
more about the explicit tag thing before I say anything.