Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Star-merge Fatally Wounded

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Star-merge Fatally Wounded
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:21:55 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden>

    > >From my memory of Bitkeeper's functionality, it errors out with a
    > message to "pull first, then push again" or something... I could be
    > mixing up scenarios though...

No such heuristic can prevent the problem, only make it a little less
likely and that only at the cost of hairing stuff up.

The OP and friends are making a specific infrastructure where the
extra hair is a win.   Great!   They (or someone) should build a tool
for that.   That part is perfectly fine, from my perspective.

Meanwhile, star-merge should remain honest and simple-minded because,
as I've said, it actually is a *terrific* semantic for potential
arch-based infrastructures that happen to be different from the one
the OP is working on.