[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Conflicts in .arch-ids

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Conflicts in .arch-ids
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:06:43 +0900

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
>> But "tla add" creates a new id in linux--mainline--2.6, which is
>> different from the id in linux--cm--2.6. How is this different from
>> tla-update-ids?
>
> tla add takes an option to specify the id, so you can figure out the id of
> existing files, and explicity use the same id (I've done this when I know I
> later want to merge two pre-existing source-bases).
>
> One interesting possibility might be have an option to tla-update-ids that
> maintained a "new file database" of ids, which would be checked before
> generating a random id to see if a file had recently been added with the
> same path-name [presumably in another branch], and if so, use its id instead.

I've implemented something similar to this in tla-update-ids (tla-tools
patch-76):

       --id-hint-tree=TREE_ROOT
                        When adding an id-tag to a new file, search TREE_ROOT
                        for the same file (by name) and use its id-tag if
                        found.  Multiple --id-hint-tree options may be
                        specified, in which case they are searched in the
                        order given.

Here's an example use; I synchronize two branches of Gnus with CVS, and
sometimes the same new file get added to both in CVS:

   $ pwd
   gnus-5.10-sync
   $ tla-update-ids --id-hint-tree=../gnus-sync
   * adding `lisp' tagline (from ../gnus-sync/lisp/ChangeLog.2):
lisp/ChangeLog.2
   $ tail -1 lisp/ChangeLog.2
   ;; arch-tag: 956fd310-042f-4fca-8dca-a01dbe06acff
   $ tail -1 ../gnus-sync/lisp/ChangeLog.2
   ;; arch-tag: 956fd310-042f-4fca-8dca-a01dbe06acff

If the file is in a subdirectory it uses the subdirectory's id-tag to
search in the hint-trees, so it should work even when the subdir has
different name.

-Miles
--
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
-Oscar Wilde