Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Public mirror

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Public mirror
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 12:41:13 +1000

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 12:29, James Blackwell wrote:
> Zenaan wrote:
> > In my mind is the concept of taking my branch and "make public", so that
> > my coworker can cherry pick/ merge off my branch, to his heart's
> > content.
> >
> > (And vice versa of course, he making his branch public.)
> >
> > I imagine the simplest way is something like this:
> >
> > cd ~/public_html
> > ln -s ~/\{archives\} .
> >
> > So, I've read on the wiki about something called .listing files. These
> > seem to be created in "Mirror" archives.
>
> Yes. http has a problem serving archives. Arch gets around it by
> providing ".listing" files, which are essentially a stored directory
> listing.
>
> > However, is there any reason I must unnecessarily mirror my whole
> > archive, just to make it public? Can't I just symlink, and somehow
> > create these .listing files within my main archive?
>
> Nope.

Sorry, I really am a newbie in some ways - is that "nope, there's no
reason you must unnecessarily mirror, just symlink", or "nope, you can't
just symlink, these .listing files are not created automatically"?

I'm guessing the former, since this looks very promising (along with
"tla archive-fixup -H":

> echo "it sure does" >
>   /this/archive/address@hidden/=meta-info/http-blows

The bit I guess I don't understand is the echo line.
It kind of looks like a joke, but I can't tell.

> tla archive-fixup -A address@hidden

Do I have to run archive-fixup after every commit (if I want that new
changeset to appear to those viewing the .listing in my public_html
symlinked archive)?

> You'll have to do this for each archive in {archives}

Thanks for the advice - getting close to that asymptote
with every email.

Thanks again
Zen