Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Making tla commit update the revlib

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Making tla commit update the revlib
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:24:09 -0400

Cameron Patrick wrote:
At the moment, when you commit a revision, it is uploaded to the
server and then lost forever.  Then, next time you commit or run tla
changes or whatever, it needs to be fetched from the archive, which can
can take a while if the archive lives on a remote server.  Ideally,
the committed revision would be added to the revision library as part
of the commit process.

Ideal for you, but not for everyone. For example, I work on projects from several locations, so I may never need a given revision that I commit. The next time I do work at that location, I may need to update to the latest before getting to work.

I looked into what would be needed to implement this, but caught on a
snag: there seems to be just one function, arch_library_add() that's
responsible for adding a revision to a library.  It takes care of
fetching revisions, building and patching ancestors and other stuff
too.

Please, no. I've got a bunch of outstanding changes to library_add() for the backbuilder.

What I'd like to do is to split up arch_library_add() into a bunch of
smaller functions.  It's close to 2am in the morning here and I'm not
thinking clearly enough to come up with ideas of what the smaller
functions should be.  It is also a large enough change (to a programme
that I'm not at all familiar with) that I want to seek advice from the
people on this list on the best way to proceed.

I'd suggest adding support for the Arch Cache to arch_commit().

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology