[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Whitespace cleanups

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Whitespace cleanups
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:07:31 +0900

Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:
> I don't know about you but I have that "feature" of emacs set to the
> mode where it asks me if I want to use those settings and I *always*
> say no.
>
> I'm sure there's some better way than that....  having "find-file" and
> friends ask an interactive question is icky.

Yup; what might be handy is if `enable-local-variables' could be a list
of variables, in which case it would only ask the question when there
were variables not in the list.  Something like `indent-tabs-mode' for
instance, seems likely to almost always be "right" (on the theory that a
consistent coding style within a source file is a good thing).

I personally already apply various tweaks to my personal settings based
on source-tree name (e.g. I force the C coding style to be `linux' in
any tree that seems to be a linux source tree), and I suppose I could do
something similar for tabs in tla source -- but of course, it's very
hard to get everybody to use such a hack.

-Miles
--
.Numeric stability is probably not all that important when you're guessing.