Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: finding answers quickly

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: finding answers quickly
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:55:09 +1000

On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 16:05, Miles Bader wrote:
> Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden> writes:
> > BTW, if someone does start a move-it-into-docbook or similar effort,
> > please post to the list first (obviously).
>
> I'm all for nice documentation, but please, god, not docbook.

Rather than wave hands, please provide alternatives, and rationale.

I've been a Docbook SGML doco team lead for two years,
used Pagemaker for half a year, wrote the Aegis quick reference,
and various other doco tidbits over the years, and documented in
Microsoft Word a lot as well.

I would currently propose Docbook XML, even though I haven't used
it much. The reason being, that's where most development activity
has been occurring over the last couple of years; and Docbook is
very widely used in the free software community - KDE and GNOME to
mention two not-so-small projects.

If you provide some alternatives based on _your_experience_, I'd
personally be very interested, and appreciative. Ideally, you would
compare alternatives with Docbook, explaining why they are better.

Interested
Zenaan