Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "Getting back on the road"

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "Getting back on the road"
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:25:58 -0700 (PDT)

  > In closing, I have an offer for Tom. Tom, If its ok with you, I'd
  > like to re-open my address@hidden branch, so that you
  > can use that code to cut a release.

I do not think that that would be a good idea.

Instead, I'll be posting on or before this weekend some news about how
the project patch flow will be restructured, about the release and
testing-candidate process, about some of the coding standards I will
start enforcing, and so forth.  Included in that will be guidance for
those who want to attempt to make integration branches such as yours.

I rather suspect that to turn your existing branch into one that is
acceptable will involve a little bit of work on your or someone's part
(a few days or weeks worth, perhaps).

Rather than "re-opening" your branch (whatever that means), I think it
will make more sense for you to do the necessary work to convert your
branch into an acceptable format, and then stick within the project
policies after that.

If by "re-opening" your branch you mean continuing to do additional
integration work: that would be a particularly bad idea because you
are unlikely to do that additional work in an acceptable form.   By
continuing the branch at this point, you will just be wasting effort
(yours and other peoples').

Thanks,