[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Source Code Managers Carnival

From: John Arbash Meinel
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Source Code Managers Carnival
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:01:10 -0600

Deliverable Mail wrote:

I set up a star architecture for SCMC (Source Control Manager
Carnival) as follows:

Arch complains about
the pristine tree changing inodes, have to manually delete it -- is
there an automatic way?

Use a revision library.
mkdir $HOME/arch-revlib
tla my-revision-library $HOME/arch-revlib
tla library-config --greedy --sparse $HOME/arch-revlib

Now arch won't create pristine trees inside of {arch}, it will create
them in your revision library. This allows sharing between directories,
limiting total usage. Revlibs are the recommended way, but require a
little bit of configuration, so they are not on by default.

 Also, bk reverted to old-days SCCS/RCS
locking and the normal state is read-only.  Any difference, and tla
reports long lists of -- changed permissions.  Is there a way to make
it ignore such metadata change, so I don't have to commit just that?

I don't know of any way to get tla to ignore permission changes. There
has been much discussion over what the correct permission handling model
is, but for now, I think you probably want to try and keep things
read-only when you go to commit. Probably if you commit with bk first,
it will keep things that way.

Overall, I wonder whether this star setup is something people have
used, and what other ones are possible.  E.g., could you sync as (1)
and then propagate into the center, etc., -- what are possible
protocols, advantages/disadvantages, etc.

I've only done arch<->cvs with a single working directory. It works
quite well for me, but it isn't nearly as involved as yours.
I think I understand your method, and it sounds good. But I don't really
know what you mean by do (1), don't do (2). Is that a local to remote
sync? Is that an arch to center sync? Your drawing helped understand
your star configuration, but the (1)/(2) didn't make much sense.

If I do understand, I would say that you don't have to have both the
local and remote archives. Everything can star off the middle. You just
need a specific branch for all the merging, so that you don't have
conflicting updates to the same branch (bk updates & darcs updates on
the same logical branch without talking).

John
=:->

Cheers,
Alexy